Rabbinical School Curriculum
When you enroll at JSLI, you become part of our community- now more than one hundred and sixteen Rabbis and two Cantors strong.
We are a vibrant, forward thinking group of Jewish professionals who are always available to help one another through our private Facebook Page and our online continuing education Lunch and Learn’s. We offer an optimum environment for study for the modern Jewish Rabbinate.
In the course of our Online Video Conferences, we will explore all of the subject areas below. In conjunction with our video conferences, all of our course materials and assignments are available on our LMS (Learning Management System).
Courses (which include readings from our JSLI required texts, document downloads and internet resources) are available to students one week before actual online classes so they may prepare in depth for each subject.
Students write weekly sermons (Divrey Torah) on the Torah portion of the week and participate in online lectures by our many Rabbis and participate in ensuing discussions.
A full curriculum will be made available to students accepted into JSLI.
- Weekly Torah Study
- The Jewish Prophets
- The Jewish Kings
- Pirkey Avot- The Ethics of the Fathers
- Jewish Angels
- Introductory Mishna, Talmud and Midrash
- Medieval Jewish thinkers
- Jewish Mysticism – Kabbalah
- The Holocaust and Forgiveness
- Brit Milah/Brit Shalom
- Eschatology- Life After Death
- Jewish Conversion
- Orthodox, Conservative, Reform, Reconstructionist and Renewal Movements, and of course, Jewish Universalism.
Liturgy and Ritual
- Prayer liturgy and prayer melodies
- High Holidays
- Duchenen- The Blessings for the Priests
- Officiating at Jewish, Interfaith and Same-Sex Weddings
- Officiating Bar and Bat Mitzvahs
- Baby Naming Ceremonies
- Brit Shalom Ceremonies
- Preparing and delivering sermons
Please bear in mind that these are only a few examples of the subject areas our Rabbinical School will cover.